le plus loin le plus serré

le plus loin le plus serré
mourning art

in memoriam

"yet I tell you, from the sad knowledge of my older experience, that to every one of you a day will most likely come when sunshine, hope, presents and pleasure will be worth nothing to you in comparison with the unattainable gift of your mother's kiss." (Christina Rossetti, "Speaking Likenesses," 1873)

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

imaginary class planning

New class theme for my imaginary children's/YA lit class. it's an obvious one but I think I could make it work.

and that theme?  Friendship.

Books to be read include:

A Little Friendly Advice by Siobhan Vivian
How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Film:
The Goonies

Possibles include:
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Considerations:
add in at least one animal-as-friend text (ie, Shiloh, except not Shiloh because it depresses me)
at least one adult-as-friend
add at least one broken-friendship-that-isn't-repaired story

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun.
I really like the idea of at least one adult friendship and at least one broken, non-repaired, friendship.

I feel like often adults are missing or untrustworthy in youth fiction.

Jonathan Auxier said...

For adult-as-friend, what about JACOB HAVE I LOVED by Katherine Patterson? It's a wonderful and complicated relationship.