le plus loin le plus serré

le plus loin le plus serré
mourning art

in memoriam

"yet I tell you, from the sad knowledge of my older experience, that to every one of you a day will most likely come when sunshine, hope, presents and pleasure will be worth nothing to you in comparison with the unattainable gift of your mother's kiss." (Christina Rossetti, "Speaking Likenesses," 1873)

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

it is better to die than to live

evidently, in the 19th century schoolboy story.

I just finished Oudendale by Ascott Hope, and it was another lovely downer in the same vein as The Hill and Eric.

all these damn kids are so happy and eager to die....it's truly creepy.

I know the religious ideology behind this, but how does it comport with christianity to be so eager to leave this world? i mean, shouldn't you desire to do the lord's work on earth until he calls you home? isn't it selfish to want to leave this world for a better one?

oy.

Read Karin Calvert's Children in the House, which is a historical overview of material culture in America from 1600-1900. it was mostly unenlightening, a presentation of historical information. mildly interesting.

Is it legit to refer to American home furnishings of the late 19th century as "Victorian"?

Victorian to me is British (and brit. colonial). In the States, very different things were happening: the civil war, Reconstruction, the Gilded Age, etc.

Tonight is the first night of my class, and I am inexplicably nervous ( I just never get nervous before teaching). I've been so wrapped up in planning and preparing and thinking about this class that I haven't had much time for the Project.

as a "treat" to set the tone of the course, I'm going to show them Tim Burton's killer first short film, VINCENT. if you haven't seen it, you must! it's delightful, and narrated by Vincent Price himself.

It's about 7 minutes long, and it's a paean to weirdness in childhood. perfect for my class on the weird, grim, gothic, morbid, spooky and creepy!

1 comment:

booktapes said...

I apologize if you've already mentioned it, but judging from some of your recent posts, you should check out The Treehorn Trilogy by Florence Parry Heide with great drawings by Edward Gorey. I got hooked on Gorey from his drawings for John Bellairs's Johnny Dixon series.