le plus loin le plus serré

le plus loin le plus serré
mourning art

in memoriam

"yet I tell you, from the sad knowledge of my older experience, that to every one of you a day will most likely come when sunshine, hope, presents and pleasure will be worth nothing to you in comparison with the unattainable gift of your mother's kiss." (Christina Rossetti, "Speaking Likenesses," 1873)

Friday, June 08, 2012

autotune the neighborhood

The entire internet has sent me the link to this video, which is a pretty great autotune of clips from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. I'm always happy to see Mister Rogers getting some attention these days - he and his program deserve it. I especially like this because, though it may be a bit hokey, I like the metaphor of the garden of your mind/imagination. This may be because I love gardens, or it may just be because it's a good metaphor.

I think the queer subtext of the program is especially conspicuous in this video, which also makes me happy.

And, as always, check out the comments on youtube (this is not a thing I say often). I think the user comments for videos of Mister Rogers are fascinating in their sincerity, their affective honesty, and - perhaps most of all - their general kindness/civility. Very, very few people get weird or nasty in comments about Mister Rogers, and as the internet has shown us over and over and over, people get weird and nasty about everything, all the time. Yet Mister Rogers - even in autotune form - manages to suspend the nastiness and pettiness.

Attitudes are caught, not taught - it's one of the program's philosophical catchphrases. You can see the contagious nature of Mister Rogers' kindness in the youtube commenters' responses.

No comments: