le plus loin le plus serré

le plus loin le plus serré
mourning art

in memoriam

"yet I tell you, from the sad knowledge of my older experience, that to every one of you a day will most likely come when sunshine, hope, presents and pleasure will be worth nothing to you in comparison with the unattainable gift of your mother's kiss." (Christina Rossetti, "Speaking Likenesses," 1873)

Monday, August 06, 2012

Owl Services

 The first time I read Alan Garner's The Owl Service, it was in this edition, to the left (and I quite love the design of the cover, as well as what I understand of the book, which frankly isn't all that much).


The Owl Service was inspired by this piece of dinnerware, below, which someone gave to Alan Garner, who saw Owls in it, and got obsessed/fascinated, and evidently learned Welsh along the way to writing his novel, which is - among other things - a kind of retelling of the Mabinogi story about Blodeuwedd and Lleu Llaw Gyffes.


Today, while poking around a Marshall's store, I spotted these bowls, and immediately had to have them. My bowl needs are not pressing at the moment, though I can always use another cereal bowl, but my need to have my very own Owl Service bowls was very strong indeed. 
Owls or flowers? Flowers or owls?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I commented to you how odd I found it that the service was a bloody china setting. i see that Alan Garner has another sequel to Weirdstone of Brisingamen about to be released.
And have you seen my owl?
http://mymatejoechip.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/strange-internet-search-terms/

Miotke said...

However, Lithium Ion power cells are the fastest growing in the industry, and improvements are constantly being made. The charger delivers a constant current until the battery voltage has reached the set level. It is also important that they are not run flat in a portable device, which creates reverse charging, which can completely damage the battery. The ground cable (commonly black) is connected to the negative terminal.